[fpc-pascal]Runtime Error Source References

Sat Aug 23 12:00:50 CEST 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Mark Emerson wrote:

> With all this discussion of using GDB (and the associated hassles) to
> get runtime error source references, I fondly remember my Turbo Pascal
> days, and the AMAZED delight the first time (about 1982) I encountered a
> runtime error and there was a choice to press "E" and be taken into the
> editor to the place in the source where the error occurred.  And it
> WORKED!!
>
> Are there any plans to implement the capability for an FPC program to
> output (via the exception system) not only the runtime error number, but
> also the source file name, line number and character number?  Indeed, I
> would like to be able to capture this info and write it to a log file
> for QA purposes.

This is already possible. But it requires that you compile your application
with the -gl option, AND that you use a RTL which is also compiled with the
-gl option, because the standard RTL does not contain the debug information
(for reasons of size).  There exist plans to distribute a separate 'debug'
RTL, but we haven't had time yet to do this.

Incidentally, if you use the FP ide, the same functionality as in the TP
editor is available. I think Lazarus also provides this, but I am not sure.

Michael.