[fpc-pascal]How to write GUI programs?

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Sep 11 15:36:31 CEST 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Christophe wrote:

> Michael,
>
> >Yes. I'm cooperating with someone on this already;
> >The intention is to put this in the standard packages of FPC, as 'fpgtk'
>

> Yeah ! It sounds great. Is it availaible for download ? Do you need some
> help ?

I will forward your mail to the person who writes it.
(he works on less than 5 meter of where I sit, but nevertheless :) )

> I'm planning to write a XML programmer editor using GTK and Sablopas, my
> wrapper for Sablotron.

Actually, the documentation editor I'm making with the toolkit,
must edit XML files with some xhtml in it. So cooperation may be
very fruitful =-)

> I currently use the shedit component but I'm
> thinking of creating a source code editor widget. I took a look to the new
> GTK text widget and it seems great. In the Glib2, there are also some
> functions to scan token which may help for syntax highlighting.

Yes.
We'd have to look at converting to GTK2 but I don't think this
should be a big problem.

> I send some new widgets encapsulation (text, tree, paned, notebook) to the
> maintainer of GTKPas and he will add them soon.

These are already functioning in the toolkit I use.
Like I said, there are very little things left to do.

> But as I just startes I'm
> thinking of using directly GTK2. On the other hand, I can enhance the SHEdit
> component to add missing features. What do you think is the best ?

I think it it better to enhance the shedit component. it's made by
Sebastian Guenther. (sebastian.guenther at freepascal.org)

I'm forwarding this mail to the author of fpgtk.

Michael.