[fpc-pascal]How to write GUI programs?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Tue Sep 10 07:44:28 CEST 2002

Hi, Fernando!

Thanks a lot for the samples. I compiled them without any problem with my
FPC 1.0.4 and they appeared to work.

I find it also very impressive that the code size is relatively small. I saw
samples for Qt, where such things required much more commands! - And this is
exactly what kept me away from GUI coding all the time: Writing half a 'book'
to open a stupid window...

But now, a big problem arises to me:
------------------------------------
Basically, your examples made me doing the decision to use GTK. ->  :-)
But WHEN I start with GTK, I will have to get something like a 'User guide'
for all this GTK related stuff, if possible with simple examples, as Michael
V. Kenneyt did with his "FreePascal Book".
-> Because I have absolutely no knowledge about GUI programming, I must learn
   this from scratch. I only experienced that here everything goes otherwise
   round: While a normal text application is controlled by keystrokes and you
   have to read them within you program, it seems that GUI programs have an
   external handler in the GUI library and this one does callbacks - I never
   programmed this way any time in my life, and I am programming now more than
   25 years, so this is a big change to me...

ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT BOOKS WHICH ARE EXPLICITELY FITTING TO THE FPC-GTK
UNITS?

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
> Use the gtk unit which is standard on FPC, and see the examples provided.
> You also get the advantage that GTK+ apps can be compiled using FPC for
> Windows.
>
> Ive send some samples of my own attached. Written for Brazillian people, so
> the messages are in portuguese. :-)
>
> []s, Fernando Lozano

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
      \\|//           Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software
      (o o)           Forget Windoze! -- We focus on L-I-N-U-X...
Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  |  e-Mail: office at hantsch.co.at
Khunngasse 21/20     |  www   : http://www.hantsch.co.at
A-1030 Vienna        |  Tel.  : ++43 - 1 - 7988538 0