[fpc-pascal]autodoc generation

Mon Sep 9 16:49:47 CEST 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Carl Eric Codere wrote:

> >MVC can probably give you a better idea of the status of fpDoc. He is
> >using it for the FPC documentation.
>
> Currently for the FPC internal documentation we'll be using the modified
> pasdoc, but i think that for the RTL and standard unit documentation we'll
> eventually use FPDoc...

Not 'eventually'. The classes unit and all other things in the FCL will be
documented in fpdoc. If we find some time, the RTL standard units
documentation will also be switched to fpdoc. The classes unit is almost
done.

It's in the interest of Lazarus and any other components to use fpdoc,
and drop pasdoc, as cross-referencing between these two tools will be quite
hard. Not to mention that I think that fpdoc is more suitable for the job
and produces better output.

Which doesn't mean that pasdoc is bad, but I think the concept of fpdoc
is simply better, and I personally will endorse it as the 'official' FPC
documentation tool.

Lastly:
I am currently working on a GUI editor for the XML documentation files that
fpdoc needs. It's written in a small OOP GTK wrapper so should function on
both windows and Linux. When Lazarus is ready for release, I will look at
switching the implementation to the LCL.

I've asked Sebastian Guenther when we'll release fpdoc; as far as i'm
concerned, this can be done even this week because fpdoc is fully
functional. The editor can be released at a later time.

Michael.