[fpc-pascal]GIF 87a/89a

memsom at interalpha.co.uk memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:30:33 CET 2002

> > Does anyone have a working program that'll display a gif image in linux
> > please ?
>
> I have written borland pascal source to display a 256 color BMP image
> and usually run a batch conversion of the required images to BMP format.
> GIF contains compression and is thus more complex than BMP.
> My source should compile on Free Pascal. But if you find source
> for reading GIF files I would like to get a copy as well.

You also have the added problem that the algorythm used by GIF is something
like LHZ which is patented and that the GIF format is also on dubious legal
ground. You may find that a lot of open source projects will ignore the GIF
format, and getting info on the format may be tricky. I know people like Eric
Raymond support the 'Burn all gifs' campaign.

Matt

This message was sent using Mistral WebMail.
http://www.mistral.co.uk/