[fpc-pascal]Common database access in Pascal

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at yline.com
Tue Jul 16 16:41:15 CEST 2002

Hi,

  I was wondering whether someone here knows if there's some sort of
unit which provides some (basic) methods for common database access
across different database systems for (free-)pascal/delphi using
win32/linux.

I know that there are several header translations for Interbase, MySQL
etc. out there, but I didn't succeed in finding a unit/package providing
a common interface to do connection management, updates, selects and the
likes. I.e. something like the JDBC interface (java) or PEAR library
(php) for other (script-)languages which provide imo quite easy to use
classes/objects without having to worry much about specific
implementation details.
Some googling didn't yield much results, so I wanted to ask here whether
I'm simply looking in the wrong places (ignorant of obvious solutions)
or if there's really nothing available in this respect.
Or even better, one of you has already implemented such a unit and wants
to share it....

This package I'm currently searching for should provide, if there exists
something like this, the following functionality:
- connecting/disconnecting to database
- transaction handling (basically turning on/off, commiting and
rollback)
- execute updates/selects (e.g. sending a query to the database)

Regards,
  Thomas