[fpc-pascal]VESA modes in fpc for win32

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Thu Jan 31 15:17:49 CET 2002

On donderdag, januari 31, 2002, at 03:05 , Victor V. Shuvalov wrote:

>>> OK, how do I use at least this mode?
>>
>> graphdriver := d4bit;
>> graphmode := m640x480;
>
> It seems to be wrong. My program with these lines reports "Invalid
> graphics
> mode". Maybe this is the problem of my video card? It is Matrox
> Millenium
> G400.

It would surprise me, but it is possible that they removed support for
that mode in newer drivers or so...

>>> Surprisingly the method described above is NOT working, but
>>> GraphDriver=10 helps --- which looks like nonsence, isn't it?
>>
>> Yes, because there is no graphdriver 10 available under windows...
>
> Well, there can be a kind of misunderstanding --- GraphDriver=10 helps
> ising vesa modes with go32v2 version, not win32.

That's normal. However, even under go32v2 you should use the new way to
select modes since as of the VESA 3.0 standard, the vesa modes aren't
required to be numbered the same as in previous versions (so in theory,
mode $101 could suddenly be 1600x1200x32 bit).

> The nonsence is that no other value of GraphDriver helps!!!

Using "detect" would probably help (then you'll get the best available
mode), but I'm really curious why it doesn't work otherwise. Since I
don't have windows, I can't test unfortunately.

> Hope I didn't disturb you too much with my (probably stupid) questions,

No problem.

Jonas