[fpc-pascal]Performance: Free Pascal vs GNU Pascal

Sun Dec 29 17:46:36 CET 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Mark Emerson wrote:

> > Look at
> > http://dada.perl.it/shootout/
>
> Thank you for this VALUABLE reference.  Let me ask (if I may)...on
> matrix multiplication, which appears to be a pretty clean, simple
> algorithm, why do you suppose Microsoft C (vc, and also vc++) is more
> than three times faster than FPC?

I don't know. I do know that I've been able to speed up some of the other
algorithms by as much as 3 to 4 times; Others do not lend themselves to much
improvement. I haven't seen the C implementation, so I don't know how they
do it in C, maybe I could get a hint to make it work faster in FPC.

I think that this one should be answered by the compiler boys, as I'm not
very familiar with the way the code is generated.

Michael.