[fpc-pascal]Unit graph & Linux Question

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Mon Mar 19 10:54:22 CET 2001

Stefan Becker wrote:

> Hi people :-),
>
> I tried some simple stuff in the unit graph and realized that it
> always invokes the xserver running (or not running) on the Linux
> server.

The graph unit doesn't use X at all, as it uses only svgalib functions,
which switches the graphics adapter directly to the right graphics mode.

> My goal would be to use routines that are *remote* XServer capable.

A solution could be GGI plus its own version of svgalib: A svgalib
replacement, which redirects all commands to GGI itself. Perhaps it's
possible to use remote X servers with that.

I don't see other possiblities in conjunction with the old graph unit;
normally you have to use the xlib for accessing local or remote X
servers. Libraries such as GDK/GTK are built on top of xlib, or you
might even use the fpGFX library for Free Pascal, which is still quite
beta: http://www.freepascal.org/fpgfx/
But all of these libraries force you to work event based.

- Sebastian