[fpc-pascal]Compiler

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Tue Jun 12 17:32:48 CEST 2001

On zondag, juni 10, 2001, at 05:15 , Svante Kvarnstrˆm wrote:

> I have trouble with my Compiler, i don¥t understand how to use it. Its
> this "Freepascal compiler", and i don¥t understand it. Sombody who can
> help me?

FPC comes in two flavors (which are both included in the file you
downloaded):

* one is a so-called command line compiler. This means that normally,
you use a text editor (preferably one which has been writtin with
programming in mind) to type the pascal code, then save the file and
then execute the compiler (ppc386.exe) with the file you just saved as
parameter (so "ppc386 somefile.pas").

* the other is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). This is the
easiest to work with annd provides both an editor and easy access to the
compiler. For FPC, it's called fp.exe and it's put in the \pp\bin\win32
directory. Unfortunately, the IDE included with version 1.0.4 is still
only beta, so it still crashes every now and then.

If you use windows, you can also try the FPIDE
(http://212.120.113.158/fpide) or FPE
(ftp://ftp.miraclec.com/pub/fpe-1.35.zip)

Jonas