[fpc-pascal]executing different gtk applications from FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Jul 17 09:16:20 CEST 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, jordi wrote:

> Please, can someone help me?
> In a Free Pascal program and using GTK, I do the next when push a help
> button :
> exec ('/usr/bin/gnome-help-browser', 'man:manual_page');

The exec function from the dos unit always waits till the started application closes.
If you don't want to wait, use the linux unit:

 Pid:=Fork;
 if Pid=0 then
   execl ('/usr/bin/gnome-help-browser man:manual_page');
 else
   waitpid(PID,WAIT_NOWAIT) // NOWAIT means reaturn at once.

For the exact syntax of execl,waitpid, see the documentation and examples
of the linux unit.

Michael.