[fpc-pascal]FPC on the press

Fri Jul 13 23:14:45 CEST 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Fernando Lozano wrote:

> Hi there!
>

> > > Borland CLX today required only Qt, not the full set of KDE libs. But
> > > they designed a "windowsing toolkit abstraction layer" so they can
> > > replace dynamic libs and so make CLX use GTK+ instead.
> >
> > Thats not really true. CLX is totally tied to QT, down to a fairly low level.
> > They could re-write it to use GTK, but why do they need to?
>

> Borland techinical staff told there is the abstraction layer as I told,
> and this was also said during the Kylix tour here.

This is nonsense. Rewriting the CLX to use GTK will be A LOT of work !
Just download the code from sourceforge, and you'll see. The CLX is just
a reworked version of the VCL, which uses QT calls instead of Win32 API
calls.

So this 'abstraction layer' is _very_ thin in my opinion.

> > Not really - it's buit into QT, so it's transparrent. It's QT that does all the
> > theme-ing, which you actually originally mentiond as a plus point for GTK!!!
>

> The Borland staff wasn't speaking about themes, but about really using Qt
> or GTK+ widgets. The same abstraction layer may permit CLX use Windows
> Controls instead of Qt widgets.

The same can be said from the VCL. Just replace the win32 calls with the
appropriate Qt/GTK calls.

> > >But today Kylix uses only Qt, not
> > > GTK+ (and GTK+ itself is more cross-plataform).
> >
> > QT is very portable. The difference is the cost alone.
>

> There are any ports of Qt for other plataforms besides Windows and Unix
> (X11) today? And only the Linux port can be GPLed?

I think there is a MacOS port, WinCE port and the windows port is GPLed
(or will be GPLed) as well.

Michael.