[fpc-pascal]Re: fp under Windows

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Sat Feb 10 10:33:43 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Ralf Quint wrote:

> >As 2000 is the 'future' of 32-bit Windows, 2000 is based on NT, and NT doesn't
> >do DOS, except through emulation.. um.. you'll still lose your *DOS* prompt
>
> Well, i doubt that. First of all they changed the name as i mentioned to
> "Command prompt" and if i would gamble, i would make a bet that "console
> mode" will be available even in all future versions too. You even can start

I think you are talking about two different things. The reason for the
confusion is probably that MS always called it a Dos prompt and gave it an
MSDOS icon. A "prompt window" will probably always be available in some
form unde Win**, but it will most likely evoluate to a form where it can't
run any Dos programs anymore (or only with very bad compatibility, since
it seems to get worse with every new Windows release).

But all this does not have any impact on fp: there are both Windows and
Dos versions available of fp. Same goes for ppc386.

Jonas