[fpc-pascal]findfirst question

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Sat Feb 10 00:50:00 CET 2001

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> At least Dos only supports one * before "the" period, so I expect
> windows does the same. Normally, everything before the last persiod is
> considered as the filename, since loveletter.txt.vbs (hmmm, where do I
> get this from? :) did get the vbs icon and not that of a text file.

The above is correct. There is also another catch. Windows expects there
to be only 3 characters for the extension.

So for example:

If you did a wild card search for

  *.html

it would return all files with the .html extension.

BUT

if you did a wild card search for

   *.htm

It will return not only .htm files but ALSO .html files.

If you specifically ask search for an extension longer then 3 characters
it will look for it but if you search for only there characters it
wildcards the rest of the characters in longer extensions.