[fpc-pascal]How to shrink the executable size?

Sebastian Schuberth s.schuberth at gmx.net
Sat Sep 30 14:02:39 CEST 2000

Hi there,

unfortunately the link to the mailing list archive seems to be broken,
so I'm not able to look whether my question has been answered before.
The size of (DOS-GO32V2) executables still is (even after applying the
optimizations mentioned in the FAQ) very large, a simple test program
with a single "ClrScr" and "WriteLn" statement is about 62 KB. When I
use UPX to compress it, it shrinks to 26 KB, but still the external
CWSDPMI.EXE is required. Exactly the same source compiles under TMT
Pascal, which uses the PMODE/W extender and PMWLITE for compression, to
25 KB (extender INCLUDED, so no need for an additional external file).
If
you guys don't have any other idea how to further shrink FPC's files,
I'd like to try to use PMODE/W instead of GO32V2 with FPC. Is it
possible? What steps do I need to take? I already guessed that I need to
compile to OBJ instead of COFF format. I used the -Anasmobj switch to
archive this (yes, I have nasm installed properly). Unformtunately the
linker then complains about some format
error ... any suggestions how to fix that? And will the resulting
executable be useable with PMODE/W?

Thanks in advance!

--

Sebastian Schuberth