[fpc-pascal]Strings vs. Ansistrings

James_Wilson at i2.com James_Wilson at i2.com
Mon Sep 18 21:18:07 CEST 2000

For go32 and Win32 targets... are strings read/written differently when
compiling with {$H-} and {$H+}? I have a file viewer that uses an array of
^string. When compiled with {$H-}, shortstrings, the strings are read from
the file and displayed on the screen perfectly. But, when I compile with
($H+}, ansistrings, the strings are displayed as garbage characters
(without making any other changes to the code). According to the byte count
I calculate while reading the file both short and ansistrings are reading
the exact same amount of data, but the displayed characters are all garbled
only when using ansistrings.

I can't find anything in the docs that seem to point to this problem. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim