[fpc-pascal]How to shrink the executable size?

Lee, John LeeJ at logica.com
Thu Oct 5 11:58:53 CEST 2000

Afraid I didn't follow early part of thread...Did you look at the linkmap
when you smartlinked to see why size so great? There is a program I
contributed, look_map, in ftp fpc \contrib which will analyse it for you
listing the things included or you can do it manually. I spent some time
looking at size (it is important as we know!). I found that using smartlink
(now default for rel 1.0 & later I believe) and -Xs then upx ing I could get
small go32v2 & win32 programs down to 20K or so, but no smaller. Without
smartlinking or -Xs or upxing even small progs can be huge 150-200K! See the
readme with look_map...BTW I also found that the time to load & run programs
is greater after upxing them, even tho' they appear smaller.  HTH John