[fpc-other] Firebird vs PostgreSQL

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 13:19:44 CEST 2017

On 27/10/17 10:15, Santiago A. wrote:

> So, again, what has Postgres that Firebird hasn't? I have worked with
> firebird a lot, but not with Postgres, it will be interesting a review
> of someone who has worked with both.

Aggressively-tested compliance with SQL "correctness", including
regression testing as standard. Transactional robustness, which is
something they had a /long/ time before the competition. A rich palette
of data types, character sets, timezones etc., and predefined functions
to manipulate them. Analytic windowing functions, replication,
connection pooling and so on. Fairly extensive third-party extensions
for GIS, statistical etc. support. And that's just from memory, without
referring to any advocacy documents.

Decent documentation in one place, which is something that I found to be
a particular issue with Firebird when I looked at it perhaps four years
ago. https://www.postgresql.org/

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk