[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Mon May 29 14:01:32 CEST 2017

On 29/05/17 11:12, Bo Berglund wrote:

> Testing--------So I thought that one way to go forward was for me to use an RPi3 boxas a repository server with GIT or whatever (seems like the CVSsuccessor SVN is now also on the decline...).Is there a good way to set up an RPi3 box as a GIT server and getgoing with that?
> Can GIT work in a way that would be comparable to CVS regardingconcurrent development etc?
> Any suggestions on where to start?

Frankly, and after having run an RPi3 as my desktop system for roughly
nine months, I'd not use an RPi for that. I'd use something like an HP
Microserver with at least mirrored discs, and I'd make sure that I was
able to write a consistent snapshot onto something like a USB stick
storage device.

My recollection is that while you can set up (software-controlled)
mirrored devices on an RPi, you run into problems mounting them at boot
time due to deficiencies in the loader- that was certainly the case when
I looked at it in the latter part of last year, although low-level
firmware improvements (roughly last November) might have fixed some of that.

In addition, it's becoming increasingly obvious to many people that the
power arrangement is manky, and that you risk permanent damage to an
SDCard if inserting a USB device briefly pushes the voltage out of spec-
see discussion of the vcgencmd command.

Finally, you /will/ need to backup, and if you've accumulated any amount
of data you really don't want to try doing that through a single
(internal) USB hub with no possibility of expansion.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk