[fpc-other] How do you keep up with FPC discussions?

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri May 26 13:36:52 CEST 2017

On 05/26/2017 12:51 AM, noreply at z505.com wrote:
> On 2017-05-25 04:20, wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:
>> while i understand what you are saying, i always get a huge belly
>> laugh when someone says anything about cluttering an inbox... that's
>> just crazy when you have filters that can easily move new mail to its
>> own folder for reading... each of the FPC related mailing lists comes
>> into my thunderbird and is filtered to its own (sub)folder where the
>> messages are read in threaded mode... it is faster and available to me
>> even when i'm offline... plus i have a local copy of all the messages
>> so i can search historically if desired...
>
> Indeed you can hide all the mailing list into one folder so its not visible.

why one folder? i have

   inbox
   sent
   junk
   trash
   outbox
   apple
   freepascal related
     fpc-devel
     fpc-other
     fpc-pascal
     lazarus
     synapse
   ham radio
   linux stuff
   and so on and so on and so on

> But once you start opening that folder and trying to read through, say 5
> lists,

5 lists is 5 (sub)folders...

> your day is just used up - especially if you stop to help someone on the list
> and then have to open up fpc to test your idea/help hint you gave to them.
back in the 80s, i used to work 10-12 hour days and then come home and read 500+
messages in numerous fidonet echomail areas... of those 500+ messages i read, i
would write at least 20-25 replies containing support information... t'was no
big deal... i still do the same but fidonet is not as active as it was back in
the day and these mailing lists are also not as much... but i still receive an
average of 500 messages a day in my email...

> I'm convinced you are all lying a.i. bots with super powers, though

hahaha... nope... just experienced readers of messages who have learned how to
work through them fairly quickly and easily... i will grant that it does take an
hour or two... if i'm offering someone some help and have to go write code, i do
that over several days... even if it means skipping some reading a day or two...