[fpc-other] Git & SVN

Tue May 23 21:56:27 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-23 20:33, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
> Now, how the actual process would look with the FPC team, that's hard to
> define at this point. But the tools are there for it.

Exactly what I was getting at.

> Was this a proper answer, or I was beating around the bush in your views?
> :)

Finally somebody that understands distributed version control, and how
Git could be used. You gave a very good answer indeed. Too many people
(and companies) are so stead fast in the ways of a client/server version
control system - like SubVersion. They then wrongly (or not ideal) force
those ideas onto Git usage. Hence the reason I said it takes a bit or
"rethinking the problem", and in the end everything becomes quite clear.

For those interested, read the many blobs about how the Linux Kernel
development is managed. Or even how Git's development itself is managed.
True distributed workflow models.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/