[fpc-other] Git & SVN

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue May 23 16:23:08 CEST 2017

In our previous episode, Mark Morgan Lloyd said:
> Now I don't deny for a moment that Git has its advantages for
> distributed working. But am I correct in my understanding that it has
> nothing that maps directly onto the monotonic revision list of
> traditional VCSs including Subversion?

Nope. There is only some hash, and various hacks to emulate with post commit
hooks, which is not at all the same in behaviour.

some info is at
http://llvm.org/docs/Proposals/GitHubMove.html#on-managing-revision-numbers-with-git

merging, external repos were some of the other issues. (Potentially) solved issues since
the previous discussion were repo dictated configuration (for linefeeds),
and the ability to avoid certain branches to have multiple ends (thus
leaving the next committer with the unenviable choice to wait or potentially
make the situation even more complex).

All from memory of ourse.