[fpc-other] Your thoughts on cloud based server instances?

Mon Mar 13 10:31:03 CET 2017

On 2017-03-13 02:14, noreply at z505.com wrote:
> "Linux is everywhere. Bsd is nowhere."

BSD (at least FreeBSD) is not as loud mouthed as Linux on the Internet.
They got the heads down and keep churning out solid releases one after
the other. I like that! ;-)

> Indeed you mentioned a few hosts but compared to linux, that's
> absolutely nothing :-)

That was by no means an exhaustive list of hosting providers supporting
FreeBSD. It was simply what I found in about 15 minutes of internet
searching.

> The amount of time updating some retarded old buggy php version or OS
> version that keeps coming out every few hours, takes lots of time...

Probably not the best way to do things, but I feel that if things ain't
broke (for me), then don't fix it. I know patches and bug fixes come out
by the minute, but I only update my systems around once every 6 months.
If I hear some very serious security problems, then I'll most likely
patch that program/library sooner (eg: OpenSSH library a few months
back). Saying that, I still run one or two VM servers using FreeBSD 9,
even though the latest version is FreeBSD 11.

I've also had my fair share of Ubuntu systems auto-updating itself by
the minute, when a patch gets released - and more times than I care to
remember, it broken something else in the process (other programs stop
working, things fail to compile etc). Hence I am a lot more conservative
with updates for the last few years.

> and also there is automatic backups issue. You have to set all this up
> yourself.

The key is consistency - do things the same and document processes. I
have scripts or documentation (text files) to help me manage my servers.
Each client's hosting environment is set up like the one before. Backup
script is copied to a new name (for a new client), one or two variables
amended, and then added to a cron job. This way things actually take
very little effort and time.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/