[fpc-other] Your thoughts on cloud based server instances?

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Fri Mar 10 16:50:25 CET 2017

On 2017-03-10 07:18, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Last night I was investigating the idea of moving some of my personal
> and company VMs and services to a remote cloud based VPS (Virtual
> Private Server).
>
>   eg:
>    https://www.vultr.com/
>    https://www.vultr.com/pricing/
>    https://www.vultr.com/locations/

There is also DigitalOcean, with good pricing.

It's hard to find BSD hosting and digitalocean offers it as you can
install your own copy of any OS they have available.

The issue with these services is that you have to manage your own
server, which IMO takes too much time. I'd rather have hostgator deal
with server issues so I can focus on real work. You have to update your
OS yourself, do the patches, etc. I'd rather have someone do that for
me, as that's kind of like taking out the garbage, doing dishes,
cleaning up php's messes, that I don't want to take the time out to do.

I love the idea of having my own bsd (non gpl) web hosting OS installed
myself, but then again it likely runs on a virtual linux server anyway
and is just a bsd vm, so any linux security breaches would still sort of
be there. And if some bsd distro comes out every 6 months, I would have
to update it myself every 6 months and supply patches to programs on the
OS I do't know every few weeks/days which I have no time to do, so a
managed shared server for $10/month or less works fine for me.... with
the exception of the fact that I'm no fan of gpl, and a lot of the
shared hosting companies are gpl'd linux servers.  There are very few
bsd web hosting companies out there. But even if you get a cloud bsd
solution, it likely runs on a linux kernel in a vm anyway