[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Wed Jun 7 00:25:03 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-06 09:40, Bo Berglund wrote:
> It seems like GIT does not like the fact that in CVS only changed
> files can be committed thus revisions of files evolve on a file by
> file basis. So when a CVS tag operation is performed the tag is
> applied on all of the files in the current state. This means that a
> CVS tag contains files at different revision levels and apparently
> this is something GIT does not like.

I think Git is trying to make something good out of a bad situation. I
wouldn’t blame git if it didn’t get things 100%. The way CVS and
TeamCoherence (which was an improvement over CVS too) all applied
revisions per file only, instead of a whole “repository state snapshot”.
That behaviour was very pre-historic, [and personally] a terrible
design. You could never get a decent snapshot of all files in the
repository at a specific point in time. That was one of the major new
features and improvements that even SubVersion introduced.

> So it tries to "fix" this by making fake commits or something similar.

I guess it’s trying to fix a “hack” with a hack. ;-)

> I can go elsewhere and clone the created repository at which time I
> am getting the HEAD revision checked out. Relevant files compare fine

Perfect.

> except they are not the correct timestamp.

Git only tracks file contents, and some extra commit related metadata.
Timestamps are really irrelevant when it comes to managing file content
changes over time.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/