[fpc-other] How was compiled the very first version of FPC?

Lars noreply at z505.com
Wed Jan 11 21:37:26 CET 2017

On Tue, January 10, 2017 1:59 pm, Travis Siegel wrote:

>> And ultimately I think that TP was written in Z80 assembler, later
>> converted to 8086.
>>
> Actually, I don't know about versions pre 4.0), but source code versions
> of tp 6 have escaped into the wild, and if you can locate one of those,
> you'll see turbo pascal is written in turbo pascal as well.  There's
> assembly language for some routines to speed up certain parts of the code,
> but in general, it's mostly pascal code.

Maybe in the later days but Turbo Pascal originally was written in, AFAIK,
100 percent assembly code, with not a single source comment...

Anders was very secretive about his code as he didn't want people to steal
it.... and protected it closely....

In the later (or latter) days, Borland decided that assembly code was not
so easy to maintain... I thought they made this decision in delphi days,
but maybe they made in at some point in Turbo Pascal days and converted
some of Anders assembly to turbo pascal.