[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Underscores in numerical literals - grouping

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Nov 22 17:44:47 CET 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 14:47:10 +0000
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> [reply moved to fpc-other]
>

> On 2016-11-22 14:29, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > My conclusion: That tabs costs less cpu time in Pascal code is a myth.
>
> Bottom line, in both your 2nd and 3rd set of attempts, at least 2 out of
> the 3 compiles were faster than the (1st) baseline times. So my
> statement about it will take less time because there are less bytes to
> process holds true. :-)  I never said by how much faster though. ;-)

Invalid cherry picking. Is the smiley for that?

> To get more accurate results one would have to reduce the test to only
> parsing source code, and exclude things like deleting PPU files,
> compiling and binary linking. An exercise for a rainy Sunday afternoon. :)

Deleting PPU files takes 0.7 secs.
Why should compiling and linking be removed from the compiler time?

> I was impressed by how much disk space the source code reduced by.
> That's 3.7MB [minimum] less bytes to parse and scan.

The 3.7MB is 0,5% to 1% depending on source distribution.

Graeme, the space and time savings are simply weak arguments for using
tabs in Pascal. You gave some better arguments for Elastic tab stops
and you should concentrate on them.

Mattias