[fpc-other] $100, 000 for C++ implementation of FPC's -CR option

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 10:44:47 CEST 2016

On 2015-08-14 00:49, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:
> Well, now all they need is a decent equivalent to Pascal's units
> (instead of relying on preprocessor hacks such as #include), Pascal's
> compilation speed, decent RTTI, class types (e.g. "class of tobject")
> and C++ becomes a halfway-usable language

I've recently been familiarising myself with the Java language, and
later switched from using a plain text editor to using Eclipse IDE to
write my code. WOW, was I pleasantly surprised with Java and Eclipse.

 - I could use compiled .class files created with Java 5, even though
   I'm using Java 8. No recompile of the old code needed.
 - Renaming a class in Eclipse is a single change - Eclipse even takes
   care of the file name change.
 - Because Java doesn't have a header unit (.h) or a Interface section,
   renaming methods, types etc is a single edit change. No search and
   replace needed.
 - Write code that doesn't exist yet (eg: calling a method of a class
   and with arguments). Then press Ctrl+1 and Eclipse implements that
   method with the correct parameter types for you, in the correct file
   and class. Awesome - especially if you code in the TDD style like
   I do.
 - Using Eclipse, I don't actually have to Compile my code - Eclipse
   does it continuously in the background - that is also how it manages
   to report errors or improvements against your code.
 - Even though I'm using Java 8, I can tell Eclipse to recommend better
   code, API usage etc against any earlier Java version. It knows
   exactly what Java version supported what language syntax and
   features. So the code generator will not generate code where certain
   features did not exist in the selected compatibility Java version.
 - Eclipse has an Outline Window, which shows you what a Pascal
   Interface section would show. So even though Java doesn't have an
   explicit Header or Interface section - it really isn't needed at
   all, because the Outline Window tell you everything. Plus, simply
   double click a method there and the code editor takes you to that
   code. Want to rearrange the order of methods or fields? No problem,
   and no need for Cut & Paste either. Simply select and drag them
   around in the Outline Window, and Eclipse will move the actual code
   for you.
 - Enable Format on Save - so even if your indentation, alignment etc
   are not according to the code formatting style you specified,
   Eclipse will reformat your code on Save (all lines, or only changed
   lines can be processed).
 - Eclipse's Refactoring support is out of this world!

And that's just what I discovered in 2 days! I'm really starting to like
Java (and Eclipse) a lot. It has improved so much since my initial
introduction to Java from the late 90's.

Regards,
  Graeme