[fpc-other] Anybody using ultra-wide or square monitors for programming?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 23:39:30 CET 2015

Hello Mark,

On 2015-03-22 21:07, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> No, but an observation if I may. A few months ago I moved from a couple
> of large (in their day) Multisync LCDs mounted flat, to 4x slightly

I've used two 19" wide screen monitors for 2 years (a couple years back)
and absolutely loved it. I can maybe see myself up to 3 monitors, but 4
seems a bit excessive for work. But I fully appreciate everybody's needs
are different. I would love to see a photo of your setup if you don't
mind sharing. How do you layout your apps?

Since my two monitor setup I have switched to a single DELL U2711 29"
monitor. An absolute fantastic monitor with an unbelievable amount of
inputs and a resolution of 2560x1400. My thoughts were that it had a
large enough horizontal resolution to replace the two 19" monitors I
had, and has pretty decent vertical resolution too. It also takes up
less desk space. In large it worked out exactly like that. It is pretty
common for me to have my email client and web browser side by side. But
I still use 4 virtual desktops too (thanks to X11). 3 years down the
line and I still love the U2711, but I still desire more horizontal and
vertical space. Rotating this monitor on its side just looks
ridiculously tall - and then too narrow to.

I read somewhere that the good old 4:3 ratio monitors from years back
had a lot more usable pixels than the initial wide screen monitors. Not
sure if that still holds true for the latest breed of wide screen
monitors. But every time I walk into a hospital and see those 4:3 LCD
monitors I am amazed at the good screen layout and vertical space. It
just looks so appealing. So seeing the availability of the 1920x1920
Eizo makes my heart pound! Plus 78% more pixels that a Full HD
(1920x1080) monitor as standard. Now that sounds like a dream come true
for me. Maybe even that in a dual monitor setup. :-D

Regards,
  Graeme