[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 12:50:06 CET 2015

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> If you want facts, then do a Google search. See the exponential growth
> of projects migrating from SubVersion (or other systems) to Git. Qt,
> KDE, Linux Kernel etc - they are massive projects and must have had very
> good reason to move to Git.

The Linux developers moved because they were thrown off Bitkeeper after
being accused of reverse-engineering it.

I'm aware of the fact that there's something about managing directories
(or possibly branches/tags) in Subversion that's considered broken, and
I believe that when Torvalds hurriedly designed Git he took pains to fix
that particular flaw. If one of the FPC maintainers can remember the
details perhaps they'd explain them, after all /somebody/ has to give
Graeme something concrete on which to build his argument :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk