[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 10:02:53 CET 2015

Hello Martin,

On 2015-03-15 20:32, Martin Frb wrote:
> But that does not change, that there are developers who store their
> projects in GIT, but who do not use the features at all. For such a
> developer it can be said, that even CVS has more feature, than the set
> of features they use in GIT.
> This is one case, where GIT was clearly not the best choice. (Assuming
> they had choice)

There is no rule that says you must use all feature of Git, otherwise it
is waisted or not the best choice. Like I tell everybody else. To get
started with Git you need to know about 4-6 commands (just like svn) and
that will allow you to do most day-to-day development work with it.
Perfect, and nothing wrong with that. You now have a reliable and stable
source code management system will a full backup of all your project
changes. What workflow you use is irrelevant.

Then as time goes by and your confidence with Git grows, then start
experimenting with other commands and features. Learn and use git at
your own place.

What I like about it is that it is extremely quick to get a repo started
(unlike say SubVersion, Team Coherence, Perforce, SourceSafe etc). No
service/daemon required, no remote server needed. Just a directory where
you can run 'git init' and you are set to go.

Regards,
  Graeme