[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sun Mar 15 15:46:43 CET 2015

El 15/03/15 a les 11:10, Graeme Geldenhuys ha escrit:
> Hello Mark Morgan,
>
> I wasn't going to reply because I've had enough fruitless debates in
> these mailing lists. But here I go again - I just can't help myself -
> especially if I see false statement being thrown around as if they are fact.

[snipped lengthy part about git features]

> Again, a clear indication that you have NEVER used Git before. Git is
> infinitely faster and easier to setup.
>
>     Start a new Git repository for an existing code base
>
>             $ cd /path/to/my/codebase
>             $ git init      (1)
>             $ git add .     (2)
>             $ git commit    (3)
>
>       1. Create a /path/to/my/codebase/.git directory.
>       2. Add all existing files to the index.
>       3. Record the pristine state as the first commit in the history.
>
> Congratulations, you have a fully working and 100% setup Git repository!
> No server required, no "parasite service/daemon" required etc.

I don't dispute that, I even tentatively migrated my googlecode projects
to github (though I might reconsider and use bitbucket instead), but the
same can be said about mercurial. I still cannot wrap my head around
git, though I had no difficulty picking up mercurial (at least for basic
functionality).
I don't really see the advantages of using git instead of mercurial
(other than going with the flow, but then I would stop using pascal if
that was my main motivation).

Bye
--
Luca