[fpc-other] Re: FPC website

Programming yahoo-prog at heplist.com
Wed Jul 8 18:55:32 CEST 2015

An update, after several months.

After the last message, I adjusted the MTU size down to 1400. Doing a
tracert, after this change, to forum.lazarus.freepascal.org now
succeeds, but I am still unable to connect via my desktop (Win 7 Pro
64bit) to the address from neither Chrome nor Firefox (I get a timeout).
I can connect without a problem via the original Kindle Fire tablet from
the same LAN, so that seems to eliminate the router as a problem.

At that point I tried to figure out what is wrong without bothering the
folks here on the list.

I have taken up the habit of every time I get access to someone's
desktop or other device to try accessing the forum. About 1 out of 4
Win-7 desktop computers I have tried will not connect (I did not check
which versions of Win-7). The few Linux boxes I have tried have all
succeeded in connecting. Same successful connection via the Mac and
Android/Linux tablets and phones I have tried. I have not tried any iOS,
XP, or Win 8 devices/laptops/boxes. In the computers that did not
connect, it did not seem to matter if I used Chrome, Firefox, or IE (if
one failed, they all failed).

Using the IP address explicitly does not seem to make a difference.

Using Wireshark for monitoring, the connection seems to hit a wall once
a SYN packet is sent during the handshake (no SYN-ACK packet is returned
from 80.123.225.56, the IP of the forum).
192.168.1.3 → 80.123.225.56, TCP protocol, length 66B, port 51683→80
[SYN] Seq=0; Win=8192; Len=0; MSS=1360; WS=4; SACK_PERM=1
After the packet doesn't get acknowledged, it retransmits the same
packet twice, then transmits the packet *without* the Window Scaling=4
parameter (other information is the same) twice. Then it repeats the
entire process until the timeout hits.

I have tried figuring this out, but after several months, I seem to not
be getting any further in solving this. I am not sure what else I need
to check.