[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] fpc course

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:52:07 CEST 2014

On 02.07.2014 03:53, kapibara wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm thinking of starting a FPC/Lazarus course in my local area. It would
> be interesting to know where you all think FPC (and Lazarus) is in 5-10
> years?
>
> Personally I think ObjectPascal is a great and productive language,
> hence, I'd like to see it flourish. (C# simply reminds of my six wasted
> years with C/C++ in the early 90's)
>
> However, it doesn't matter how good it is if for example Embarcadero
> raises some copyright issue or something. And the FPC/Lazarus projects
> has to go. That sounds of course like madness to come with that now,
> 10-20 years after the conception of fpc/lazarus. Still, can someone
> reassure that the FPC/Lazarus projects can't be forced to be shut down
> for such reasons? Because the the students will have my balls.

Considering that Embarcadero had used FPC itself for their first version
of FMX on iOS support I doubt it that they have any problems with us
existing and copying them.
Additionally FPC has its roots mainly in Europe while Embarcadero is an
American company. It's way harder to shut us down because of that.
Also when we implement things in a Delphi compatible way we avoid
looking at the source or at least have one look at the Delphi source and
describe/document it and another one implement it which is called Clean
Room Reverse Engineering.

So I wouldn't worry about this. Even if Embarcadero should decide to
take actions against us (which I strongly doubt) I don't think that we'd
go down without a fight. ;)

Regards,
Sven