[fpc-other] What does Embarcadero spend there time on

ListMember listmember at letterboxes.org
Sat Mar 9 01:18:34 CET 2013

On 2013-03-08 20:29, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I didn't say it was inappropriate, I said that providing a TinyURL
> alternative would have helped people who- for some reason or other-
> couldn't cut-and-paste the full one.

Well.. there's the flip-side which is more important: Sites that provide
tiny/shortened URL services have a habbit of retiring/expiring thosed
links after a certain period of time --leaving the referred URL going
nowhere.

Perhaps you've never encountered such a situation but I have --several
times-- found myself profusely employing profanities towards people
doing just that.

> This is particularly the case for YouTube, which typically demands a
> fairly recent browser/Flash combination which might not be present on
> somebody's primary work computer. In the current case, Google doesn't
> throw up a link to that video on trivial searches (and more credit to
> Graham for finding and sharing it as a result) but there's no way that
> I- for one- am going to start trying to transcribe the entire URL to
> the laptop next to my main system during work hours: I've got much
> more important things to do.

Well.. if you have more important things to do, the first thing I'd
expect you to do would be to ignore that link --which is exactly what I
did--; plus, one would save more time by not complaining about a link
posted in fpc-other.

> And finally- and this one's for you Graeme- I wouldn't be complaining
> about the URL being less than useful if I hadn't made a minimal
> attempt to view it, on the basis that you're not a total idiot and
> might be making an interesting or at least amusing point.

Interesting approach indeed...

While I understand/realize that other people will/can have different
approaches; If I had found myself in such situation, I'd have rather
adressed my complaints at/to YouTube or the manufacturer of my
device/os/software or even blamed myself for not having installed the
necessary codecs or whatever..