[fpc-other] Goodbye, and thanks for the fishes

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 20:02:11 CET 2013

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Mark Morgan Lloyd said:
>> But I suppose all this begs the question: if one decides not to use
>> Object Pascal, what are the viable alternatives?
>
> While hobbywise, I won't let go of FPC (and Wirthian languages) that
> quickly, professionally it is different.
>
> Currently, for me it is not really a problem (small company, my preference
> has the most weight), but there was some discussion a while back of hiring
> more programmers and cooperating with certain other (SCADA like) companies,
> so there was some discussion.

The SCADA package we inherited was written in a bastard mix of three
versions of MS C, plus a spreadsheet in MS Pascal and assembler
interfaces to an IBM communications controller. I replaced it by Delphi
code with PostgreSQL as backend, and am completely impenitent.

> In my case the only viable alternative is C++, but I'm somewhat embedded
> with a bit of realtime requirement. Sometimes I think it would be easier
> even now, but I have previous MFC experience, and that still scares me a
> bit. (IOW, if you go back to C++, what will you use as GUI?)
>
> In my previous job, I was more standard business apps, and then the only
> viable alternative is C# IMHO.
>
> One doesn't have to like it, but if I'm leaving Pascal because it is too
> tiring to defend being in a niche, then you won't pick up some other niche,
> and the above are (to me) the only viable choices.

But is MS really committed to C# and .NET, and if not could it drown
Mono etc. out of spite? Which leaves C++, which as I see it has the same
issues as Object Pascal except that lots more people use it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk