[fpc-other] Offer to repair and maintain the FPC community website (repeat msg, no HTML)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 12:13:04 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> There are lots of benefits to NNTP though:

There are a lot of different things here though.

*  Classic "push" NNTP between servers.

*  "Pull" NNTP from a client to a (local) server, correctly called NNRP.

*  The headers etc. used as metadata by discussion-group messages.

*  The control message formats used by NNTP that in principle allow a
user to cancel one of his postings even if it's propagated to servers he
doesn't know about.

*  Discussion group readers, which by now are pretty much
indistinguishable from mail clients.

And so on. I certainly agree that NNRP is worth supporting as a delivery
option. I certainly agree that discussion-group metadata should be
supported or at least learnt from. I've got no strong opinion on how
best to organise a backend, particularly in view of typical
discussion-group (innd etc.) servers' very poor resilience to e.g.
abrupt shutdown.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk