[fpc-other] Re: fpc-other Digest, Vol 62, Issue 1

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Oct 6 17:12:40 CEST 2012

Cephas Atheos ha scritto:
[..]

> I knew that I wasn't going to convince anyone who wasn't willing to give
> new technology a fair go! But we do need to at least be fair with our
> evaluation of technology, not just go with what we know and love. It's not
> fair to the users who may not know the difference, or who may have been
> genuinely interested in better ways of communicating with everyone else
> here.

[...]

I'm afraid that you're are under the false impression of talking to a
newbee audience, who's never seen a forum in his life.

The sample forum you proposed is very similar to the one I did set up
for a cultural association I'm member of. It uses the same tools and
also the layout isn't very different. For its purpose it is quite easy
to use, and the most suitable tool. I would never have dreamed to
propose to this association to set up a newsgroup.
But, by knowing this tool, and by knowing also other tools, such as the
capabilities of modern mail clients, I fully agree with Graeme that the
forum is a clumsy tool as compared to a newsgroup, as far as fpc/Lazarus
developers requirements, needs and capabilities are concerned. Different
purposes and different audiences need different tools.

May I remind you that being "more modern" doesn't mean "more suitable"?
Tombstones are still made of stone. Stone age technology. But the most
suitable for that purpose. A plastic sheet printed with the latest
digital printing technology appears much more modern, but id would fly
away at the first wind blow, and it would fade away under the sun in a
few months.
Nobody today would dream to carve a public announcement on a stone slab,
as it was customary in ancient Rome, but nonetheless there's a field
where stone age technology is still the most suitable.

Please do follow Graeme suggestions, and concentrate where problems
exist, and improvements would be welcome. Fpc/Lazarus Wiki search is a
nightmare, because there's no decent content based indexing: if what
you're searching for is not on a page title it can't be found. Fpc
website usability is very poor. In those fields more modern tools, and
someone willing to devote some time would help a lot.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is connected
(anonymous)