[fpc-other] Re: [fpc-pascal] Pascal dialect -- was: Re: fpc-pascal Digest, Vol 72, Issue 12

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 19:27:31 CEST 2010

On 4 June 2010 18:57, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> The main goal is implementing stuff we care about. If Delphi already implemented
> something similar, then unless there is an extremely good reason for doing things
> differently, it is stupid to implement it in a different way simply because "you
> don't want to follow Delphi":

This brings me to another question. Don't you guys feel that FPC is
good enough to stand on it's own feet. After all, our company switched
to FPC 4-5 years ago without any regrets. We don't need Delphi to
write our commercial software, hence we don't need Delphi
compatibility as such. FPC is brilliant, and evolves faster that
Delphi does.

So there is NO real benefit in trying to keep our company software or
fpGUI compatible with two compilers (essentially to products). FPC
does everything we want in a commercial environment. Good database
support, good web support, good internet protocol support, fantastic
FCL, cross-platform RTL etc.

So what's the benefit of Delphi compatibility? To keep those
developers that can't make up there minds if they want to switch or
not happy? They will probably will never contribute to FPC either, so
what's the point in trying to please them the whole time. And it's
more work for you guys.

  - Graeme -