[fpc-other] Re: Pascal dialect

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:56:51 CEST 2010

On 4 June 2010 17:03, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
> is a hit, it's a good way to encourage customers to upgrade. In our case
> it's primarily a good way to get complaints :)

The big difference you are overlooking is that in a open-source
environment you get to see what is happening before a release is out.
You get a changes to prepare your code while the changes are being
implemented. If you were early enough you could maybe even have
contributed in the thought process for the code-breaking changes.

I have been following this same path with fpGUI and our company
projects. As soon as FPC announces a RC or Beta, then I start looking
at what needs to change in our projects to stay compatible when the
new release is finally out. Lately I have been following trunk too.

In a closed source environment the end-user is left in the dark (not
even a detailed roadmap from Embarcadero) and only see what changed
after you purchased the new version.

  - Graeme -