[fpc-other] Re: [fpc-pascal] Apple forbids fpc applications on iPhone

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Apr 9 18:58:19 CEST 2010

On 09 Apr 2010, at 18:35, Travis Siegel wrote:

> I don't think you need to jail break anything to put apps on the phone that don't come from the store, what's preventing folks from just uploading the apps to their phones then executing them as normal?

Apple's code signing process. An application must be code signed using a developer certificate for that particular iPod/iPhone/iPad for the OS to want to run the application on that particular device. You can create certificates for 100 different devices via Apple's website (so people have to send you their device ID and then you can create a certificate for that device), and then it's over for a year (the certificates are valid for a year, and you can only reset the list of devices for which you have created certificates once a year).

Jonas