[fpc-other] slashdot article: The Best First Language For a Young Programmer

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 25 18:37:20 CEST 2009

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1314993&cid=28818395

Pretty much no one suggests starting out with Pascal. :(

This got me thinking... Pascal used to be _the_ language to learn
programming (although it's powerful enough not only for that, but for
pretty much anything), so is there something that new languages like
Python really have, that Pascal doesn't or is it just a matter of
perception that "Pascal is dead" and "new is better"? Are there any real
advantages in starting out with Python, Java, etc? What needs to be done
to change that? For example, a better IDE, a better debugger, some sort
of libraries and tools suitable for beginners? Or is it only marketing
that we need? :)

And no, I didn't start with Pascal, although I love it. I started with
BASIC on an 8-bit machine :)