[fpc-other] Re: Pascal Showcase Project/Education

Richard Ward roward at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 15:04:00 CET 2008

>> A key part of this I think would be an IDE which is much easier to
>> use than
>> what is currently peddled commercially.   It wouldn't hurt if that
>> IDE was
>> written in Pascal.   Just a thought.
>
> Like Lazarus?
----

Yes, I think this would be a good candidate to build an IDE for
education use from.   For beginning computer science classes I think a
simpler IDE would be more suitable and for advanced courses, the
complete environment could be used.  I also like the concept of
Ingemar Ragnemalm's Lightweight IDE on the Macintosh Platform which
takes out a lot of the complexity of Xcode and can easily be used by
beginners.   It is also supports other languages like Java and C which
might be attractive for CS curriculums.  Although it runs on Macs,
porting it should not be an overly onerous task since it builds in FPC
and targets intel core duo cpus.   Lazarus runs on at least two
platforms if not more.   I'm not totally up to speed on it myself.
But both LW IDE and Lazarus are working now.  It is just a matter of
the feasibility of selling the idea to whomever.   The educational
market I thought might be more receptive for various reasons.

-Richard Ward