[fpc-other] Re: [fpc-pascal] Re: Porting linux to pascal, would it be possible ?

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Sat Dec 6 12:22:24 CET 2008

Guillermo Martínez Jiménez wrote:
> I disagree.  C is better for write operating systems *by definition*:
> C was created to write UNIX, Pascal was created to learn good
> programming techniques.  C is low/mid-level language, Pascal is
> high-level (and Object Pascal is even higher):  OS are the lowest
> software level.

That only proves the first versions of Pascal (in the 80s) were not
suitable. Not whether the current-day FPC can't do it successfully.

Also note that Linux depends so heavily on GCC that I can't see it being
compiled even by another C compiler. There are so many gcc (part of
those are also C99) specific constructs being used to do some things
more easily, efficiently (in space and time), and to add more type
checking to what C natively has.

Regards,
Micha