[fpc-other] What would your second language be and why?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 12:00:52 CET 2008

I think it depends a lot on what you intend to develop, but in your
case it seams that there is no concrete goal other then having
something in the resumee if you get fired. In that case I would take a
look at the South African market and see what is the best option, not
only in availability of places to work but also in salary. Be careful
that you are asking in a global list, and the market will be different
in each country, and even each city.

I went for learning web related languages, because that's something
with a not so good support in current pascal tools. I learned some
PHP, which is very popular for web here in Brasil and all of those
cheap hosting options supports it.

I have recently learned some JSP in my university (Java for web) and
it deserves a prise for most bloated development environment in the
world. It requires huge labirintic directories structures, each peace
of code completely far from the others, totally forced me a design I
didn't want to follow. It is totally focused on development for teams
of 30 or more people, making it extremely unproductive for small
groups like I was working. It scared me so much that my oppinion about
MS technologies raised.

By the way, I am each day more surprised that many companies are using
Free Pascal and Lazarus here in Brasil, in the electronics field in
which I work (no idea about other fields, but I would expect much). I
think that most of them were using Delphi.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho