[fpc-other]reputation of Pascal

Noah Silva nsilva@atari-source.com
09 Jun 2002 12:50:38 -0400

I already wrote a reply to "why pascal is not my favorite language",
which seems to get quite a few hits, despite the fact that I havn't
advertized it.

Put it this way.. pascal wasn't used very much when it was in the RFC
stage.  Borland's pascal came along and became the standard.  All of the
other newer pascals are more or less compliant.   (in fact, delphi/kylix
is the least compliant when you look at stuff like CRT unit support).

so if I can compile the same program under FPK, Turbo7, PurePascal,
VirtualPascal, and Delphi.. it's pretty standard to me.  Turbo lacks
some older things, and Delphi lacks some newer things.  The things
delphi lacks have already been added by various programmers, and the
things turbo and pure lack, I have written a lot of compatability
libraries to address. (although I can't magically add compiler keywords,
etc.!)

 -- noah