Re[5]: [fpc-other]reputation of Pascal

Jonas Maebe Jonas.Maebe@rug.ac.be
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 14:31:10 +0200 (MEST)

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:

> I see one :)) Bit fields, perhaps? Would be nice to have them when
> manipulating some hardware-defined stuff. And, yet, this is
> not platform-dependant (I guess).

A set is a bitfield, although only 4-byte and 32 byte sets are supported
currently.

> > How can one avoid to use the System unit? I only want a few procedures,
> I'm not yet familiar that much with FPC but no doubt a good compiler
> _must_ be able to compile some standalone unit without making external
> references. IIRC it is possible to make Delphi do it, for example.

You can't do it in FPC. You can compile your own minimalistic system unit
(have a look at the template directory in the rtl sources) and make the
compiler use that, but then you can't use a lot of language features (such
as string operations), since these require helpers from the system unit.

Jonas