[fpc-other]Re: reputation of Pascal

Balogh, Karoly (Charlie/iNQ) charlie@scenergy.dfmk.hu
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:47:12 +0200

Hi,

On 04-Jun-02, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:

> The programming language Pascal unfortunately has a really bad
> reputation amongst programmers and in the hacker scene. They call
> Pascal a "bondage-and-discipline language". There's even
> yet a fixed proverb out: "real programmers don't use Pascal".

This is my _FAVOURITE_. :) We once had a discussion on this topic
with Arpad Gereoffy (author of MPlayer), who is of course a C
programmer. This was a few years ago, when Arpi and myself was very
active on the hungarian demoscene. Arpi declared Pascal as an
'anti-programming' language. :) After that, on the demo compo we
competed Arpi's 'elitez-make-demos-in-C' stuff with our little thing
made in a lame 'anti-programming' language. And we won. FPC forever. ;)

> For the arguments read the article about Pascal from "The New Hackers
> Dictionary" (aka "jargon file") and the related articles:
> http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/entry/Pascal.html

Yeah, another yood thing. C lovers always comes with this stuff. :)
They doesn't have better things against Pascal than this ancient
article?

> So, what do you think, how can we argue against them?
> What about publishing our own paper?
> What else could we do for the reputation of Pascal?

There was a reply for the article you told above, but i can't found
the URL between my bookmarks... :/
Anyway, i don't think we should argue against them... Do as we did
in the democompo. Don't argue, simply beat 'em! ;)

Bye,
--
Charlie/iNQ
.:%[ Cybernetic Hydraulic Android Responsible for ]%:.