[fpc-devel] TRegistry and Unicode

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 11 00:37:28 CET 2019

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019, Bart wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't ever use the registry, so in that sense you are right it is indeed
>> not sexy enough to worry about it :-)
>
> Neither do I use it...
>
> Long time ago I wrote a patch for some other part of the RTL.
> The old behaviour was plain wrong and resulted in wrong data.
> When I wrote a patch that fixed the issue (string conversion into some
> other data type), I was told was that the old implementation was
> faster and therefor better.
>
> I'm kind of feeling the same way now.

What's the problem ?

I explained my view on how the TRegistry problems should be solved.
I will not repeat it.
For organizational reasons, I personally prefer a single patch that
implements what I consider correct, and not a series of incremental
patches each addressing part of the problem.
I mentioned that in a comment on one of the bugreports.

Apparently Joost applied a patch addressing part of the problem.
That's also fine: he does the work so he decides the how.
That has always been the rule in FPC.
(Not sure whether he can now also close the associated bugreport ?)

So, please carry on. Someone will eventually apply the patches!

Michael.