[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 21 19:32:05 CET 2019

Am 21.02.19 um 06:19 schrieb Ondrej Pokorny:
> Am 20.02.19 um 21:33 schrieb Florian Klämpfl
>
>> > Am 20.02.19 um 08:36 schrieb Paul van Helden:
>> > As a big
>> >/fan of the Pascal language, I'd rather break compatibility and see the /> >/language evolve than the stoic attitude of the core devs as seen on this /> >/list. /
>> People could change this attitude by contributing to FPC. But very few
>> do constantly with high quality patches.
>
> Not at all. My experience is that contributing to FPC compiler development is just a waste of time.
> 1.) First you have to convince core compiler developers that your idea is good.

Well, it is not about ideas but contribution in the sense of maintenance
as I mentioned below. So basically bug fixing, release building and
testing etc.

The number of unfixed bugs in the bug tracker continuously increases and
this is a reason to be very careful with new "ideas". I have also a lot
of ideas where I could slap together a half-baken patch (well, actually
I often do, most of it is in my private git repository), but finalizing
everything and fixing bugs is what's missing.